Involvement of the public and patients in HTA processes / programs International experiences and good practice examples
Project leaders: Claudia Wild
Project team: Andrea Fried
Duration: October 2015 – April 2016
Publikation: LBI-HTA Projektbericht Nr. 86: https://eprints.aihta.at/1088/
Internationally there is broad consensus that the inclusion of patients´ and citizens´ perspectives may valuably complement HTA processes. Within the past few years many HTA institutions have gained experiences with various participation methods and models. In Austria so far no such experience with engaging the public and patients in HTA processes / programs exists.
A systematic analysis of available empirical knowledge is intended to develop options for patient involvement in Austria.
The project has the goal to summarize (published) models, methods and experiences in a systematic review and - based on selected country examples - to identify models of good practice. The aim is to describe successful methods, procedures and tools for the engagement of patients and citizens in HTA processes.
- Which models and methods are employed internationally for the involvement of citizens (public) and patients in HTA processes?
- Which criteria (success factors) are essential for "good practice" models, what are the obstacles and barriers?
- What is the experience with different methods and models of public and patient involvement?
- Systematic literature search and (snowball) hand search for models and methods; systematic description of their purpose and context, time and method of participation, impact etc..
- Analysis of similarities and differences in the models and methods and identification of criteria (success factors) for "good practice" models for involvement of the public and patients in HTA processes.
- Analysis of (published) reports with the option of contacting 2-3 "good practice" models among the HTA institutions for personal interviews.
October 2015: literature search, literature selection, hand search
November - December 2015: systematic review (description) and analysis of the criteria for "good practice" models
January 2016: analysis and collection of experiences
February 2016: review and publication